Sunday, August 23, 2009

She is Love

I am sitting in the church office preparing for youth group and reading some of John G Lake's sermons. The lyrics for this song started going through my head. It hit me after a few seconds that this song fits my relationship with the Holy Spirit perfectly! I now have a new found appreciation for this song. Listen and let HER fill you with Her presence and LOVE.

God made men AND women in his IMAGE. I think that is pretty spectacular. Since reading the Shack, I often think of the Holy Spirit as female.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Merlin, I am curious. What is your biblical basis or grounds for considering the Holy Spirit a "She"? I am sure you do not deem The Shack to carry more spiritual authority than the Bible, although it could be interpreted in that way from your post. I do not know of anything in the scriptures which encourages or condones the idea of the HS being a "She". The quality of wisdom is referred to as a "she" in Proverbs (not capitalized obviously), but the way I see it, wisdom is a part of God and Who He is, not God Himself. If you don't mind me asking, what is your reasoning, and do you have strong scriptural references behind this, showing that the idea is consistent with the Truth from His Word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually put my defense for that in the post. God mad us, men and women in his image. I do not take the Shack as scriptural authority at all. I was merely commenting that it was the piece of literature that opened my eyes to God being multifacited. God being potrayed as a woman really resonated with me as I read that. I believe there is a feminine side to God since women were also created in His image. I believe that God is pleased to have this side of His nature recognized. I do not think it is such an important aspect of God that you HAVE to agree with me or you are going to Hell. It just happened to be the aspact of God's nature that I was dwealing on last Sunday.

    Here's to letting God out of the little box we put Him in and getting rid of religious mindsets.

    "All of the Bible fits in God, not all of God fits in the Bible." - Bill Johnson (maybe ?)

    ReplyDelete